In Spanish they are called “dichos.” In English we often refer to them as “proverbs.” Many people just refer to them as “sayings.” They are also called “aphorisms.”
Whatever you call them, they are pithy statements that depict a particular style of life. These words of wisdom are extremely practical.
The following 52 are “words to live by;” one for each week of the year.
1. Act the way you want you feel and soon you will feel the way you are acting.
2. The one who has the least emotional involvement controls the relationship.
3. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
4. Insight is the beginning of change.
5. Responsibility with limited control is a major stressor.
6. If you don’t profess so much people will not expect so much.
7. When one’s personal life is in disarray, the tendency is to attack others.
8. The challenge of living is to be present in all we do, from baking bread to making love…James Baldwin
9. Nothing ever tears on the dotted line.
10. I would rather beg for forgiveness than ask for permission-otherwise, no changes-nothing is done.
11. It is not what you have lost that counts, but what you have left.
12.We each possess the indomitable power of the human spirit.
13. Horizons (expectations) must be raised to raise the level of one’s life.
14. Pay limited attention to things over which you have no control.
15. Ideals are like stars; we may not reach them, but they can guide us.
16. We do not cease to play because we grow old, but we grow old because we cease to play …G. B. Shaw
17. The mind is a horrible thing to waste.
18. There are no unimportant parts in the drama of life.
19.Don’t take any more luggage than you can personally carry.
20. Proper prior planning prevents poor performance.
21. All you can do is the best you can do.
22.It takes a whole village to raise a child. (African proverb)
23. Life is going fast enough without getting in a hurry.
24. Life is too short for me to do the things I don’t want to do.
25. Never reward inappropriate behavior with silence.
26. There is a saving element in every situation … Paul Tillich
27. There is nothing as powerful as an idea whose time has come… Victor Hugo
28. When you come to a fork in the road, take it … Yogi Berra
29. Meaning is not automatically given to life.
30. Man’s only natural defense is intelligence.
31. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are … Satchel Paige 32. Who am I to tell the eagle how to fly.
33. The mind is like a parachute; only good when it’s open.
34. Lack of planning and preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency for me.
35. You’re imperfect, I’m imperfect; no way can we have a perfect relationship.
36. We know what we care for when we become afraid of losing it.
37. Remember that fleas go with the dog.
38. Practice random kindness and senseless acts of love.
39. Take care of yourself.
40. Never use/abuse the principle.
41. No one knows enough to be a pessimist.
42. Laugh a little and live a lot.
43. Happiness is a choice
44. What the mind perceives the body tends to achieve.
45. Never judge the day by the weather…Gerald Kennedy
46. God hasn’t resigned and left me in charge.
47. It is better to prevent a problem than to correct it after the fact.
48. Positive actions change everything.
49. Never buy second-hand clothes from a guy that scratches a lot.
50. Shame on parents for making me what I am-shame on me for staying that way.
51. Life is too short for me not to do the things I want to do.
52. Viajar es vivir-to travel is to live. And a bonus: Life is too short to be miserable.
Amen. Selah. So be it.